Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cycling

I am embarrassed to admit that after almost a month in the biking capital of the world I have yet to brave the city streets on two wheels. In an effort to fulfill my desire to do as the Danes do, however, I am taking baby steps towards realizing my biking dreams. This is how far I have gotten:


 This morning I attended my third "BikeFit" class at the local gym I joined. I enjoy these classes more for the people watching than the burning sensation in my thighs and the smelly, still-hot-from-the-last-person-who-wore-them shoes. Picture this: a tight-bodied 30 something year-old instructor pumping club music and yelling at a room full of sweating and yet still somehow beautiful Danes. I thought I was in really good shape until the gorgeous, extremely pregnant woman next to me started cranking up the resistance on her bike while politely wiping her brow. Note to self: stop wearing gray t-shirts to the gym.

Lucky for me I can't understand the instructor's inspirational pep-talk and am thus blissfully unaware of how hard I should actually be working. I sort of just sit in the back and stand up when everyone else does. So far I've learned that the word "tempo" directly translates from English and am getting pretty good at counting backwards from four. My Danish teacher would be proud. This morning as I watched the hour tick by (note to self number two: don't sit facing the clock) I couldn't help but wonder why spinning is so popular here. Do they not bike enough outside already? Hobbling out of class in my spin clogs, though, I will say that I feel one step closer to getting my cycle on overseas.

Next step: conquering the great outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment