Sunday, September 11, 2011

ARoS in Aarhus


I spent this past weekend in Western Denmark as part of the short study tour component of the positive psychology program. Besides having a really bad cold (which was bound to happen sooner or later), I had a great time getting to know people in my class and seeing another part of the country. The academic part of our weekend - Yes, I am supposed to be learning something here other than how to navigate a bakery menu - was overall pretty interesting and enjoyable. We visited a bank that has consistently been voted the best place to work in Denmark, spoke with a sports psychologist, and took part in a workshop at Kaospilots. Kaospilots is definitely worth reading about - I swear I didn't just post the link to show off my newly acquired blogging skills.

We had some time on our own one day to explore the ARoS Museum, an art museum in the city of Aarhus. The museum itself is architecturally really cool and features "Your Rainbow Panorama," a permanent installation by the artist Olafur Eliasson on the roof. The circular walkway is suspended above the museum and is made of glass in all colors of the spectrum. It was selected in 2007 as the winning proposal in a competition to convert ARoS' rooftop surface into a work of art.


The museum also had some other cool exhibits...

"Your Atmosphere Color Atlas"

"The Inverted Panorama House"

"Unk" - Tony Oursler, "Boy" - Ron Mueck, "My Friend Alexa" - ??

1 comment:

  1. Is it just me, or does your friend in the middle picture in "Inverted Panorama House" kind of look like me . . . .!?

    ReplyDelete