Friday, October 7, 2011

Madrid!


Last Saturday I left my humble abode in Copenhagen to venture to the sunny Spanish capital of Madrid with my positive psychology class for our week-long study tour. Unfortunately my trip didn't quite start as planned. Staying out until five am the night before, almost missing my flight after falling asleep watching an episode of Gossip Girl, and getting halfway to the airport before realizing I had forgotten my passport were not exactly what I had in mind. But fear not - I made the plane and managed to catch up on some sleep despite Iberia Airlines' miniature seats and soundtrack of Spanish elevator music.

Our class of 32 stayed in a hotel in the city and got around either on the metro or by bus. The academic component of our itinerary was pretty underwhelming but the trip overall was full of amazing sightseeing, cultural activities, and food. Each of these things was made infinitely more interesting by our tour leaders - two 30-something year old teachers whose ambiguous sexual orientations and obvious desire to re-live their college years provided constant entertainment. I should probably be more concerned that I spent last night dancing and singing karaoke at a seven floor discoteca with my teachers but I guess that isn't weird here...(?)

One of my favorite parts of the trip was getting to see a bullfight at the Plaza de Toros. In addition to being an important historical and cultural tradition in Spanish culture, bullfighting is beginning to be done away with in many parts of Spain so this was likely my first and last opportunity to see one.

 


Other highlights of the week for me were walking around the Retiro Gardens, seeing Picasso's Guernica at The Reina Sofia Museum and Goya's Black Paintings at The Prado Museum, wine and tapas tasting, and a Flamenco dancing workshop with a sweaty, mullet-sporting, high-heel wearing Spaniard named Pepe.

 The Retiro Gardens and Crystal Palace


Wine Tasting and Tapas


Pepe - I wasn't lying...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment