Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sensation

The Danes don't celebrate Halloween like we do at home. Being abroad you quickly realize that the rest of the world does not revolve around America and our (sometimes ridiculous) penchant for celebrating everything possible with candy and costumes. Barring the tragic lack of Reese's Pieces and pumpkins in my life, however, I really don't have too much complaining to do on this Halloweekend.

Just because the Danes don't know how to trick-or-treat doesn't mean that they don't know how to celebrate. Black and orange were replaced this year by bigger and whiter things in my life, namely Sensation White. Sensation is an all white rave/house/dance event that travels throughout Europe and attracts 40,000 Copenhagen-ers each year. My friends and I bought our tickets in August and after two months of waiting were absolutely not disappointed. Along with fratty Americans and blast-from-the-past friends from all over we dipped our faces in glitter and danced to dubstep until we forgot what silence sounds like. One lost voice and one missing shoe later and we are all alive on yet another rainy, gray Sunday in Amager. Hooray!



In other news, I somehow managed to pass my Danish oral midterm on Friday without too much trouble. I had a grand back-up plan to just answer every question with flotskum (whipped cream) or nej tak (no thank you) but luckily (or unfortunately?) I didn't have to implement this plan B. Now I'm off to pack for our two week travel break during which I'm headed to Rome, Florence, Venice, and London with two friends. To everyone in New England buried in snow before November has even begun, I hope this all makes you smile and not want to build an igloo to slowly perish in. I know, my.life.is.tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment