Monday, October 17, 2011

Amsterd♥m

I just got back from THE FIRST REAL TRIP I'VE EVER PLANNED ALONE - a wonderful weekend in Amsterdam with two good friends. Note to mom and dad: thank you for planning vacations for the past two decades of my life. I can now fully appreciate the hard work that it takes just getting three people through the airport and onto a flight never mind the whole navigating a new city/finding restaurants/doing touristy things part.


Luckily our trip went smoothly and we all made it home in one piece. We stayed in Durty Nelly's hostel (we only book the classiest) which was located above an Irish Pub in the heart of the Red Light District. Somehow we managed to make it there at eleven on Friday night and soon discovered that - barring the whole prostitutes-next-door situation - we were in a great location for exploring the city. I don't think I've ever packed so much walking and sight-seeing into forty eight hours but here is a lazy attempt to recount some of the things we did and saw:

-Waterlooplein Flea Market
-Bloemenmarkt floating flower market
-Relaxing in Vondelpark
-The Bulldog - Amsterdam's first and most famous "coffeeshop"
-Van Gogh Museum
-"I Amsterdam" sign
-Consuming absurd amounts of Gouda cheese 
-Bakeries, cafes, outdoor food markets, and more bakeries
-Shopping in the "nine streets" district
-Carnival in Dam Square
-Lots of good people watching

Canals
Gouda, Flowers, and Fruit
Alter-ego-ing

Overall it was an amazing, if not tiring, weekend and I think Amsterdam now tops my list as my favorite city I've visited so far. Next up: Rome, Florence, Venice, and London. The two-week countdown starts today!

No comments:

Post a Comment