Sunday, August 28, 2011

Frederiksborg Slot


Unfortunately people were telling the truth when they warned me about Denmark's damp and rainy weather. The last few days have been pretty soggy and gray. Luckily this did not stop us from driving to Hillerød on Saturday to visit Frederiksborg Castle. The trip was one of the optional day trips organized by DIS and I thought it would be a good opportunity to see an area outside of the city and maybe even learn something about the country I am living in (I really regret not reading anything about the politics or history before coming!)

The castle was built in the early 17th century as a royal residence for King Christian IV and is now home to Denmark's Museum of Natural History. It is the largest Renaissance castle in Scandinavia, sitting on three small islands in the middle of Palace Lake and surrounded by beautiful, formal gardens. I was bummed that the weather stopped us from spending more time outside because the grounds looked almost as incredible as the castle itself.

If only it hadn't been raining...
...and I had really taken this picture
I didn't want to be taking photos during the whole tour and realize that there is really only so much entertainment value in pictures of old castles. That being said, my favorite part was seeing the detail in the art and architecture of the ceilings in each room. These pictures hardly do them justice but it was the best way I could think of to document the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment