Thursday, August 25, 2011

Commuting

The past week has been hectic to say the least. I have met so many new people and seen so many exciting things that I don't know where to begin in writing it down. The one thing that has anchored each of my days in Copenhagen so far is my commute into Kobenhavn (the city center) on the metro. A proper Dane would probably tell you that commuting is something done on two wheels but for now I am sticking to public transportation. More to come on biking later but for now just know that the Danish take their cycling very seriously - the commuter "super-highway" is no Lexington bike path!

My mornings start in Amagar which is slightly South of the city center. I am about a five minute walk from the nearest metro station, ten minutes on the metro, and another five minute walk to the DIS classrooms. The commute has been easy and one of my favorite parts of the day so far (which is not to say that my days haven't involved anything more exciting than a train ride if that's what you're thinking).



 The courtyard outside my building and bike path that runs next to the complex. Note: this is not one of the intimidating and crowded bike lanes I mentioned earlier!




Walk through Amagar to the metro station




All of the stations I have been to have been architecturally really interesting and well-designed. There are two different train lines serving 22 stations throughout the city and both lines run continually on an automated computer system. I have yet to wait more than four minutes for the next train which is wonderful as patience is not my strong suit.





After I get off at Norreport station it is another five minute walk or so to the area where most of the DIS buildings are located. So far I have tried to take a different route every day but we'll see how much longer I can keep that up. For now I prefer taking pictures of the pretty bicycles to actually riding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment